top of page
canada gold flag copy.jpg

Spousal Sponsorship

The spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner looking to immigrate to Canada under spousal sponsorship category must be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

Sponsorship applications take approximately 12 months to process from start to finish. They are typically not processed much faster than 12 months but they can take longer, depending on the nature of your case. 
If you have a complicated case, or the visa office requires additional proof of your relationship, this will delay the processing of your case and it will take longer. 

To be able to become a sponsor for your spouse or partner, you must be:

• Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• Are at least 18 years old
• Live in Canada, or planning to return to Canada once your spouse or partner becomes a permanent resident of Canada
• Are able and willing to provide for the basic financial needs of your spouse or partner for three years
• able to sponsor yourself and the people that you want to sponsor. This can also include the children of your spouse who are under 22 years old.
• NOT convicted of a sexual or a violent crime

What documents are required for apply spouse sponsorship:

• Proof that you and your spouse own property together
• Shared bank accounts
• Utility bills with both of your names
• Copies of government-issued IDs
• Car insurance
• Pay stubs or tax forms that show that you live at the same address


bottom of page