If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and want to bring your spouse or common-law partner to Canada, you can apply for spousal sponsorship. This is a process that allows you to sponsor your partner for permanent residency.
Who is eligible for spousal sponsorship?
To be eligible for spousal sponsorship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You are not receiving social assistance.
- You can financially support your spouse or partner for a period of time after they arrive in Canada.
- Your spouse or partner meets the eligibility criteria for immigration to Canada, including passing medical and criminal background checks.
Who can you sponsor?
You can sponsor your spouse or common-law partner. A common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year.
How long does it take to process a spousal sponsorship application?
Processing times vary depending on the type of application and the location of the immigration office processing your application. On average, it takes about 12 months to process a spousal sponsorship application.
In conclusion, spousal sponsorship is a great way to bring your spouse or partner to Canada and reunite with them. It is important to ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements and follow the application process correctly to increase your chances of success.