top of page
canada gold flag copy.jpg

Parents Sponsorship

The PGP allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents and grandparents to immigrate to Canada. Parents and grandparents who are approved under this program are granted permanent residence and may later apply for Canadian citizenship.

Both the sponsor and their parent or grandparent must meet the eligibility requirements set by IRCC in order to be granted permanent resident status in Canada. For their part, the sponsor must meet the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) required for the size of their family unit, and must also provide Canada Revenue Agency issued notices of assessment as proof that they have met the required MNI for at least three consecutive years. The sponsor will also be required to sign an undertaking that acknowledges their promise to repay social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and their family member(s) for a period of 20 years

The sponsor must also:

• you’re at least 18 years old
• you live in Canada
• you’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
• you have needed sufficient funds to support the parent you are sponsoring

One important point here about sponsoring your parents and grandparents is that you must already be residing in Canada when you send in your application, unlike the spousal sponsorship application where you could be living outside Canada but make a commitment to move to Canada after your spouse receives permanent residency. Another important distinction is that there are strict income requirements for sponsoring your parents and grandparents and if you don’t have enough income your application would be automatically denied.


bottom of page